thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black Tana wakes up after a sundown party to find all of her friends, with the exception of her infected ex-boyfriend, have been killed by vampires. She flees the party with her ex-boyfriend and a vampire who has been left chained up in the corner of the room. Not knowing what else to do, the three of them head to the nearest Coldtown, walled cities where vampires and humans are left in quarantine. Along the way they meet up with two teenagers determined to become vampires, and once inside Coldtown, things are a lot different than what they’ve seen broadcast via livestreams.

Before I get to the heart of this review, I would like to say two things. First, I have had this book down as ‘currently reading’ since Halloween, and managed to read about 70 pages during November. However, the other night I went all the way back and read it in its entirety in a few hours, I could not put it down. Second, ever since I have been wondering exactly what my thoughts were on it. It took me over 24 hours to finally figure it out, and start writing this review.

The story’s opening is very promising, with Tana waking up unsure of where she is at first, and then being confronted by the sight of her friends’ dead bodies. Even though I am not the biggest fan of vampires or blood and gore, I prefer my vampires to be dangerous and bloodthirsty, and maybe trying to live in the “normal” world like a human, but not always succeeding. This continues to be the case in The Coldest Girl in Coldtown as Tana finds her ex-boyfriend Aidan has also survived, albeit is Cold – meaning if he drinks blood, he will turn into a vampire. Going ‘Cold’ is an interesting take on vampire lore rather than the traditional swapping of blood between a newborn vampire and his maker or being buried in the ground, and is one that works very well. Unfortunately, the story doesn’t stay like this, though there are still some more great moments exemplifying the predatory side of vampires that I did enjoy.

You can read the rest of my review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2013/12/10/book-review-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown-by-holly-black/