thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, a New Hope

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, a New Hope - Ian Doescher The first time I saw William Shakespeare’s Star Wars, all I could think was ‘why?’ Why would anyone write that, why would anyone read it. But at the same time, I was also a bit intrigued. As a Star Wars fan who is also an admirer of Shakespeare’s works, how could I not? Each time I saw a copy, my resolve weakened, until last week when I finally decided I had to read it. I am so incredibly glad I did.

The book was very easy to get sucked into – I knew the story so well and everything I loved was there, but with a Shakespearean twist. C-3P0 is ever the worrier and complainer, Obi-Wan is the somewhat mysterious mentor, Darth Vader is a force (no pun intended) to be reckoned with, and on and on. And yet, by writing it this way, Ian Doescher is able to reveal more about the characters using the incredible insight he has, using all of his knowledge from the other five installments of the Star Wars sag, and years of being a fan. The beauty of writing the story as Shakespeare might have is that Doescher is able to reveal the characters thoughts and feelings we can’t see in the movies. Obi-Wan explains why he tells Luke that his father is dead, Luke thinks about the stormtroopers he killed to rescue Leia and escape the Death Star, and Darth Vader comes across as tortured at times rather than truly evil – which is something that his literal mask keeps viewers from seeing even in that pivotal moment in Return of the Jedi.

You can read more of my review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2013/10/21/book-review-william-shakespeares-star-wars-by-ian-doescher/