thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

Fairy Debt

Fairy Debt - Gail Carriger A young fairy must fulfill her mother's debt to a king for saving her life once. She works at the castle as the Least Jester to fulfill the debt and befriends the princess, who gives her the nickname Cups based on her made up name, Bella Fugglecups. She never expects her Child Wishes, the ability to improve baked goods, to come in handy.

Fairy Debt is a short story written by Gail Carriger, author of the steampunk Parasol Protectorate and Finishing School series. This story features no steampunk at all, but is pure fantasy. It features fairies, nymphs, tea daemons, and Earth dragons, as well as some backstory on different fantasy tropes - such as why dragons kidnap princesses.

As it's so short (around 5,000 words according to Goodreads), I won't go into much detail other than to say that it's a quick and enjoyable read! If you are a fan of Carriger's writing from her other work, you can expect some of the same in this story - talk of tea, bad hats, and the proper way to behave.

You can read the rest of my review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2013/10/13/book-review-fairy-debt-by-gail-carriger/