thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

Kringle

Kringle - Tony Abbott Kringle is a young orphan whose friend and guardian is taken away by goblins one night while protecting him. He vows to find her and sets off on a journey that involves elves, Romans, and pirates. Along the way, he grows up and becomes the man known around the world as Santa Claus.

I went into this book with high hopes and was, sadly, let down. What I was hoping for was an enchanting holiday read with its focus on Santa Claus, but what I got was an epic fantasy adventure featuring a boy who seemed only to have the name ‘Kringle’ in common with Santa Claus.

Kringle starts off well enough, with the feeling an unknown narrator is actually sitting in front of you and telling you the story. They tell of Kringle, how he was born, why he was named Kringle, and give you the sense that he is going to do something to save the world from the goblins. Unfortunately, that’s when it gets difficult to see Kringle as the same jolly man who delivers toys to children every Christmas despite Tony Abbott’s best efforts.

As a fantasy adventure, Kringle is a pretty good story. There’s magic, goblins kidnapping children, pirates ready to invade, and elves who try to foil the goblins’ plans and save as many children as possible. Kringle himself is endearing in his own way, having been sheltered for all of his life, brimming with curiosity, and having a habit of talking to himself – aloud.

You can read the rest of my review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2014/01/25/book-review-kringle-by-tony-abbott/