thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

The Flame in the Mist

The Flame in the Mist - Kit Grindstaff Hours before her thirteenth birthday, Jemma learns she has been lied to her entire life. She was raised believing she was an Agromond, when in reality the Agromonds had stolen her from her family in the hopes that she was the prophesied Fire One and could be kept from fulfilling her destiny. Now that the truth is out, however, Jemma flees Agramond Castle in the hopes of finding the family she was taken from all those years ago. Along the way she sees firsthand the suffering that has been caused by the Agromonds and the Mist created by their ancestors, and encounters horrors of her own – all of which convinces her the Agramonds must be stopped. With the help of her Rattusses, Noodle and Pie, her friend Digby, some magic crystals and a centuries old book, it just might be possible.

I first found out about The Flame in the Mist back in January, and immediately added it to my to-read list. I was hoping to read it as soon as it was released in April, but found myself drawn to other books instead – which turned out to be a good thing in multiple ways. First, I had the chance to meet the author, Kit Grindstaff, at a local Barnes & Noble, talk to her about the book, and buy a signed copy on Friday. It’s always exciting to meet an author, and then to be able to talk to them about their book and hear the passion in their voice as they describe it makes it all the better! Second, April would not have been a good time to read it, whereas Fall is perfect for all the dark and creepy elements the story holds!

Before I go any further, I would like to state that while The Flame in the Mist is a Middle Grade novel, it might be too dark for some younger readers. There is talk of dismemberment, creatures that want nothing more than to maul their prey to death, children being kidnapped and killed at the hands of the Agromonds, and more that I won’t mention. There were times when I was reading that I wanted to hide under my covers while I continued to read, because I couldn’t bear to wait to find out what happened.

The story is divided into five parts. First is the prologue which manages to give you both a peek at the past and a glimpse at what is to come. The four parts that follow are all dedicated to Jemma’s journey, and are divided in a way that not only makes sense, but also shows the stages in which Jemma grows and changes through her hardships. Though they don’t say it, they are a progression from darkness to light.

You can read the rest of my review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2013/11/24/book-review-the-flame-in-the-mist-by-kit-grindstaff/