thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

When Audrey Met Alice

When Audrey Met Alice - Rebecca Behrens Audrey Rhodes would like nothing better than to have a movie screening party with some friends and pizza delivered from the local pizzeria, but living in the White House makes it almost impossible to do anything normal. While searching through the White House one day, she finds a diary written by another First Daughter, Alice Roosevelt, and realizes she needs to “eat up the world.” While trying to follow in Alice’s footsteps over a century later, she finds it’s not always so easy.

When Audrey Met Alice is a wonderful story told from the point of view of Audrey Lee Rhodes, a thirteen year old who also happens to be the current First Daughter of the United States. While those of us who aren’t living in the White House seem to think of it as something magical and want to shine the limelight on a young girl who never asked to be in the public spotlight, this book does an amazing job of showing that it isn’t always such a great thing. It does so with lots of humor, heart, and experiences to which we can all relate – from spending time with friends, talking to parents about our problems in a way they will understand, and simply trying to navigate life. We are also given glimpses into the life of Alice Roosevelt in the early 1900s while she herself was living in the White House as the First Daughter, thanks to a hidden diary.

The connection between the two First Daughters who are separated by almost 110 years is incredibly well-done. Alice and Audrey go through the same sorts of problems, dealing with a parent who is President of the United States and doesn’t always have time for, or understand them; attempting to find something to do that they won’t be admonished for; learning who their real friends are and who just want access to their highly prolific life and much, much more. Even without the setting of the White House, the stories of the two First Daughters show how the world has changed since Theodore Roosevelt was President. While it is incredible to see how Alice was the first celebrity and her experiences with paparazzi, fans, etc. in relation to Audrey, we also get to see the different advancements that have been made in society (and some things that haven’t) such as in civil rights and perceptions, as well as experiences most people go through.

You can read the rest of my review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2014/02/06/blog-tour-guest-post-book-review-when-audrey-met-alice-by-rebecca-behrens/