thechristined

Victor Hugo
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus - L. Frank Baum L. Frank Baum may be known best for his 14 Oz books, but I now consider The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus to be my favorite of his works I’ve read thus far.

Baum takes the story of Santa Claus, along with some popular Christmas symbols and traditions, and weaves a tale to explain how they came to be that is completely his own and nothing short of magnificent. All throughout, from the time Santa Claus is revealed to have been orphaned as a baby and raised by Immortals who name him Neclaus until every parent is made his deputy and the last page is turned, there is an incredible feeling of Christmas cheer. It’s a story that will get anyone in the mood for the holiday – even with some not quite traditional elements to it.

The characters are not all expanded upon past what they are needed to be known as, but they all serve a purpose in helping Neclaus become the man known as Santa Claus. Children give him suggestions for new toys, Immortals help him find enough supplies and help him make toys, and small innocent events make the legend of Santa Claus possible.

You can read the rest of the review at my blog: http://readerlymusings.com/2014/01/15/book-review-the-life-and-adventures-of-santa-claus-by-l-frank-baum/